Monday, June 3, 2013

Senior Project Reflection

(1) Positive Statement
What are you most proud of in your 2-Hour Presentation and/or your senior project? Why?

I'm most proud of my information and the amount of research I had in not just my presentation, but my project overall. I gained so much knowledge and everything I learned was so important. I have a lot of pieces of research that I had as good sources and references and my mentor was also a great plus. It was noticeable just how much I really knew because I had so much to say for the presentation itself. I got a lot of positive feedback from people afterwards and it was great knowing that I didn't have to worry about making time. There was so much time put into my research binder and the things I was going to say during my presentation and it all paid off. I felt I didn't speak too much, but I spoke just enough, in order to keep everyone legitimately interested. I wasn't even nervous when I went up to present because I knew my topic. This is something we've spent the last nine months on. I had no reason to be anxious because no one in that room knew my topic the way I did. I'm so glad to say I know so much and have found a new appreciation for those in the fashion industry.

(2) Questions to Consider

a.     What assessment would you give yourself on your 2-Hour Presentation (self-assessment)?

AE

b.     What assessment would you give yourself on your overall senior project (self-assessment)?

P

(3) What worked for you in your senior project?

My mentorship was lovely and I couldn't have asked for a better place to complete my hours. I was so thankful that everyone in the building was always so willing to lend a helping hand. It was great having people realize I have great work ethic and see the passion I had for the topic of fashion. They always knew just how much information to give me in order for me to learn through trial and error. So of course, there were times I was given little direction, but I feel that's the way to go about it in that industry. It's important to pick up things like that. I made great connections with people that helped me complete a wonderful project and because of that, I'm incredibly proud of it. 

(4) (What didn't work) If you had a time machine, what would have you done differently to improve your senior project if you could go back in time?

I would have used my resources more. By that, I mean I would have gone to complete more than the required amount of hours for mentorship. I completed a total of 60 hours. Although the only reason I did not go complete more hours was because it was not up to me, I do wish I'd somehow found a way around it and had gone more. This is simply because I was at my happiest when I was surrounded by that environment and I loved what I did. There's no such thing as knowing too much information, so my research binder would have been even thicker than it already was. I always got told by Ogden that I knew my topic like the back of my hand, especially because of weekly research checks. I feel I would have been more likely to have gone and picked up more pieces of research from my mentor and done more interviews than those that were required, had I gone to mentorship more.

(5) Finding Value
How has the senior project been helpful to you in your future endeavors?  Be specific and use examples.

My senior project has been helpful to me in more ways than one. It is because of my senior project that I now have the opportunity to have a real paid internship with David Meister. This is also the reason I will have something beautiful to put down on my resume whenever I apply somewhere. They will see that I have experience working under a fashion designer and that's a great thing to have, especially because my mentor is a great reference. I don't think I ever would have had it in me to go into the fashion industry had it not been for this project. The senior project is the reason I know how to sew and therefore have created a few pieces/articles of clothing myself. I have a physical product to show. One of the most important things of all is that I gained confidence. Confidence to go out and talk about the topic with those that know the industry and have years of experience. I can now keep up and have a conversation about the processes of being successful in the industry and the things that are acquired in order for your fashion line to reach its full potential. All in all, I fell in love with the industry all over again and because of this, I hope to make a career out of it one day. My life revolves around fashion and the fact that I'm so confident that this is something I want to pursue, makes me so very happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment